Motorhome, Camper, and RV Safety

A member of our community recommended this safety topic and provided some helpful links. This is an important topic this time of year as people start deciding about destinations for summer trips.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles are used for living and traveling. Each year, fires in them cause deaths, injuries, and millions of dollars in damages. Fires can start in the kitchen. They can start in the engine area. Sometimes the fires are electrical. With a few simple safety tips you can help prevent these fires from happening.

When a vehicle is used as a structure, the most common area for these fires to start is the kitchen or cooking area. This is followed by the engine area, running gear, or wheel area. Check for safety inside and outside of the vehicle.

Safety Tips:

  • Install smoke alarms. Make sure they work.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you cook. Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.
  • Only use one heat-producing appliance plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time. Major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet.
  • Refrigerators, furnaces, ovens and stovetops use propane. Check them for leaks. Keep an updated gas leak detector on board.
  • Have your propane system inspected to make sure it still works properly.
  • Know two ways out. Make sure windows open easily.
  • Have everyone practice the home fire escape plan.
  • Do not keep camping heaters and lanterns on while sleeping.
  • Before setting up a campfire, make sure it is allowed.
  • If campfires are allowed, they need to be at least 25 feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Have your vehicle serviced by a qualified mechanic.
  • Keep a portable fire extinguisher on board. Only adults who know how to operate it should use it. Only use it if the fire is small and can be contained. Make sure everyone else is leaving. Make sure someone is calling the fire department!

Carbon Monoxide Awareness
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas. You cannot see it. You cannot taste it. You cannot smell it. CO poisoning can result from leaks in the exhaust. It can happen because of improper use of appliances. Sometimes CO comes from another vehicle. Make sure you have a working CO alarm.

More info on RV safety can be found online at: